The Learning Center provides a variety of presentations to inform and help Mizzou students succeed academically. Presentations are facilitated either by our staff or by trained student Academic Coaches. Presentation length can be tailored to fit your needs (generally between 15 and 45 minutes in length), and all presentations contain proven, research-based strategies.
Presentations can be requested by faculty, staff, university departments, and student groups/organizations on campus. Presentations are fulfilled based on presenter availability. To request a presentation, please click on the button below to take you to the Presentation Request form, and complete the form at least 2 weeks in advance of the anticipated event. If you have questions, please email us or call (573) 882-2493. If you are a student, and would like to meet individually regarding any of the topics below, please schedule an appointment with an Academic Coach.
- Overview of the Learning Center: (5-10 minutes; ideal for brief class visit): Quick overview of Learning Center resources, including Tiger Tutors, Academic Coaching, NetTutor, and Exam Reviews.
- Test Preparation/Test Anxiety: Review effective coping strategies for test anxiety, how to prepare or plan for a test, and test-taking strategies.
- Study Habits: Learn effective study habits, including memory techniques, and creating study groups.
- Effective Note-Taking: Identify types of note-taking and review how to use your notes effectively.
- Time Management: Learn time management skills, such as how to create and stick to a schedule.
Presentations outside of regular office hours (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm) may be accommodated depending on staff availability but are not guaranteed.
The Learning Center’s team of Academic Coaches is comprised of full-time staff members and 10-15 undergraduate students who are trained in learning and motivation strategies. Your presenter will be chosen based upon availability, unless you request a specific coach or staff member.
- Presentation requests must be submitted 2 weeks in advance to provide enough time to secure a presenter and gather needed materials.
- Note to Residence Hall staff & Student Organizations: Once approved, we ask for your help in making your event successful. Please consider advertising to your audience on Engage and collecting RSVPs. You may list us as a co-sponsor of the event. If you have any questions or would like to speak with a staff member, please email us.
- Communicate any changes in needs, logistics, or preferences for the presentation with the Learning Center well in advance of your scheduled time.
- Meet the facilitator at the location at least 15 minutes prior to the presentation.
- Reserve/have a room with ample space for your expected attendance.
- Provide AV equipment — most workshops require computer/internet access, a projector, and speakers.
- After you receive confirmation, communicate with the presenter by email about your goals for the workshop.
- Email the presenter about any changes in location at least 24 hours in advance of the workshop.
Note: If a workshop needs to be rescheduled once it has been confirmed, a new date will be accommodated only if the presenter’s schedule permits.